Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Update!

Is every one ready for a funny story?!

The weekend of Semana Santa (Easter) was also the weekend that Ingrid and Eddy started working here as guards. It is also the same weekend I decided I wanted to try to grow 2 avacado trees. So what do you do when you want to learn how to do something new? Turn to the experts on the net right? Well my expert told me to start them in cups of water with toothpicks to hold part of it out of the water and set them in the sun. They would begin to sprout leaves in a few weeks. So this is what I did. Well after 3 weeks or so I gave up and threw them out. Eddy and Nathan were having a discussion about religion and Eddy asked Nathan what kind of religious sacrifice I was making with the avacado seeds for semana santa. It was so funny! Nathan explained I was trying to grow trees and Eddy looked at us like we were crazy and told us if we want to plant trees just put the pit in the ground and a tree would grow. Duh! Then we asked him if we needed to start my Mother's Day seeds in the house and then plant them once they have started growing. Again we got a weird look and the same explanation. If you want to grow watermelon and cucumber just put the seeds in the ground and they will grow. Nathan asked him to show me. He took us up the hill and he and the kids (I was sick that day) dug little holes with the machette and dropped in the seeds. Sure enough - we have little plants popping up everywhere. I guess I shouldn't ask that question about a composte pit?!!

Our weekend was pretty busy. My birthday was friday. Nathan opened the car lot this day also. We went out to dinner when he got home and then came home and ate cake. I will add a picture later. It was a delicious cake that Nathan bought with fruit on top. Yumm! Then Saturday Nathan worked in the morning at the lot and had the boys come and help him clean it up and move things around. Then we had some friends from church- Ricardo and Elizabeth out for lunch. Then went to Morales for a RS activity. We were learning how to make chorizo (sausage) - which was fun because I bonded with the women but I struggled with the actual task. I don't have much of a stomach for raw meat. I hope it didn't show. Afterwards Ammon had YM (they meet on Saturday night here) and then everyone played soccer and basketball. Sunday Ricardo and Elizabeth gave me another cake which was also delicious! I got a fondue set for my birthday so we tested it out last night with chocolate. I had been really losing weight pretty fast but I think my weekend splurge may have put me at a temporary hault.

The goody truck came in today! We haven't found out if the fun stuff Grandma sent actually made it or not. Nathan just called and he said they have two lines for getting the vehicles a green line and red line. Last time he was in the green line and got the car very easily but this time he is in the red line which means it has to go through extra checks. I don't know if this is because of the extra items shipped inside. If so - I'm sure it will be worth it!

Adios for now.

Mel

1 comment: